Saturday, February 4, 2012

The guessing and waiting

One of my favorite things about our 1 little acre is being able to have goats. Ever since I was knee high I wanted goats. Their dopey eyes and curious nature only tends to remind me of myself. We have 1 goat in particular, Rene, who is a mix breed of La Mancha and most likely Alpine I am awaiting kidding for. The waiting is driving me crazy. We "field" breed out goats, meaning the does are penned with our buck Ed and because of this we can never be sure when kidding will happen. I know when the does start to look round we have about 6-7 weeks until we see those little sprites jumping about. Every day I try to guess and judge with no luck. So I wait and check and begin to doubt if she even has been bred. Only time will
tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment