Saturday, February 25, 2012

Ginger root root beer

This is an old fashioned recipe I found in Back to Basics. I made it two days ago, bottled it yesterday and will wait two weeks and let you know how it tastes!

4 oz dried ginger root
1 gallon of water
juice of 1 lemon (3 tbs)
1 package active dried yeast
1/2 lb of sugar (I've heard some people use honey or another natural sweetener)

Pound or crush the ginger root and boil it with 1/2 gallon of water for 20 -30 mins. Remove from the stove and let it sit. Mix lemon juice and yeast in 1 cup of warm water and add to the ginger water. Add the remaining water, cover and let it sit 24 hours. Strain out the ginger and add sugar until dissolved. Bottle and place in the refrigerator. (it may explode at room temperature!) Should make 10 12oz bottles. (I bottled mine in old wine bottles.)

*The recipe does not say how long to ferment, I am going to wait 2 weeks which is the average time in fermenting beer.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. To follow up on the ginger beer- In my opinion this recipe could use half the sugar and maybe twice as much ginger, but I am not a fan of very sweet things. But it is still very tasty!

    ReplyDelete