Thursday, March 13, 2014

Aftermath Of The 'Ice Storm'

  Now that I'm done studying multiple subjects, it's time to address the recent ice storm (Feb 12th).  Being from the North originally, Winter weather is nothing new to us.  Unlike the North, the trees in the South don't freeze each year and therefore can't handle to weight of the ice.  I can understand how those who aren't accustomed to the cold can have a minor freak-out, but some of the reactions here in the South have been ridiculous!  If this is how people react when power goes out for a few days in moderate temperatures, I do not want to see how people react if (more like 'when') the next event happens.  

Here are a few examples of what I'm talking about:  
- When it is likely that the power is going to go out, the foods that are bought out first are milk, pizza and bread.  I understand the bread, but the other two require electricity to keep or prepare.
- Working adults unable to clean up their own yard.  They can go to work full time, but complain when a non-profit, volunteer clean-up group can't get to their house to help in their timetable.
- No power = no Facebook.  Maybe it's time to get out of the house, meet your neighbor face to face, and learn how to communicate.  
- Failure to plan.  Many people were without supplies until after the storm hit.  There was at least a three day warning from the news - which is about two days by word-of-mouth - plenty of time to get the basics if you take the news seriously.
  Now that I've vented a little, I have a confession to make.  I, too, had a problem with the power outage - the gym was closed for a week!


  As a follow-up I'll see if I can get Shannon to write some tips on how she prepared.  With the power out, we ate everything off the grill, chilled frozen goods and refrigerateables with snow/ice, and spent some great family time together because the TV was off (one night we even sang together in the dark... hopefully my singing didn't stunt anyone's growth).


No comments:

Post a Comment